Wednesday, November 11, 2009

NEW YORK, NEW YORK

(the above is sung to the tune of Jay-Z and Alicia "Empire State of Mind." Hate to admit it, but I LOVE this song)

Last weekend I hopped on the Bolt Bus and headed down south to New York City. One of my oldest and dearest friends, Kim, has lived in Manhattan for the past 4 years. I've been promising for 2 years that I would come and visit again. So this past weekend, I finally did. New York is such an amazing city. There is so much to see and do.
On Saturday, I got to experience a little peace of heaven at Mood Fabric. For all you Project Runway fans, this is the fabric store the designers always go to. It was absolutely stupendous. I feel in love with all the fabrics, notions, trims, buttons...



We then continued to shop all over NYC. Blommies had a sale, Anthro was very busy, and Rockefeller Park ice rink was in full swing. One of my friends works at Tommy Hilfiger Corporate so we stopped in at one of their specialty stores, Tommy Hilfiger Fifth Avenue. The top floor was filled with beautiful shoes, coats, purses, dresses, skirts and blouses. I picked up a few things, then we headed home to get ready for a night out. We met up with some friends in the West Village and continued to a few other places.

Sunday we took a fun trip down to the meatpacking district. A very interesting place that I would love to live in if I were to ever move to NYC.* We started at Chelsea Market and had lunch at T Salon. The owner was quite a vibrant woman. Speaking to every. single. person. in her store. However, she made the best darn tuna salad I ever had. I'm not a tuna person. I don't even like mayonnaise, but the name "Tuscan Tuna Salad" sucked me in. It was made with olive oil, olives, capers, and lemon. Delish.

Then we met her friends while they were finishing up brunch. Next we walked along the High Line. An old railroad trellis that used to transport goods such as meat to and from other areas of New York and beyond. Since the meat packing district no longer processes meat, the train system had no use. Mayor Giuliani planned to tear down the tracks but instead, Robert Hammond and Joshua David created a group called "Friends of the High Line." With the help of architects and supporters, the railroad line was transformed into a public garden. The first stage opened last May and they plan to expand it further. Sunday was gorgeous and quite possibly one of the best days to be there.

We finished off the day with some shopping and dinner at Caracas Arepa Bar. I had the
De Pabellón. A fantastic mix of Venezuelan flavors. Shredded beef, black beans, white salty
cheese and sweet plantains. Yum. It was so good and filled me up for the bus ride home.
(I forgot to mention that the shopping consisted of a secret, behind the scenes, pretty sure illegal purchase on Canal Street).
One 4 hour bus ride later, I was back in my beloved Boston.

*I will probably never move to NYC. I have found my love, and his name is Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment