Thursday, October 29, 2009

Dinner Time

I come from a very long line of strong, independent, bright, beautiful women. However, the one trait that no one has seemed to master in my family is cooking.

My dad's mother, who lived through the great depression not to mention worked at the Pentagon, was a strong lady, but my favorite dish of hers was pre packaged little smokies grilled up on Sunday morning.

Then there is my mom's mother. She was an absolutely amazing woman all around. She had her 2 superior dishes, soup and chicken tacos, and that's about it. And, I probably shouldn't admit this, since my mother is a dietitian, but she was not the chef in our house growing up. I distinctly remember making my mom very happy when i turned 16 so now I could drive to the "TO GO" window to pick up dinner on nights when it was her turn to "cook."

I've decided to break this tradition. Now I'm on a quest to cook one recipe a week. Doesn't seem so bad, but just getting the ingredients together is the hardest part. I'm starting with this Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding from epicurious.com.






The "after" picture doesn't look that great, but let me tell you, this dish was AMAZING! I was really impressed with the finished project. Maybe I'll even make it for Thanksgiving dinner.



And maybe that one woman in my family who cooked dinner every night is smiling down on me. :)



**** I do have to give a side note here. My dad is a wonderful cook. He made us dinner most nights and I always loved his meals. He did teach me a thing or two but I found running around with the neighborhood kids more entertaining then cooking.

***Update ***Cooking Tip: When you cook mushrooms, they sweat, A LOT. It's kinda weird. I wouldn't expect mushrooms to be huge water retainers but they sure are. Just keep that in mind when cooking with mushrooms.***

1 comment: