Friday, January 15, 2010

Cocktail Party 2010


(They look so scholarly)

(I thought he looked like a celeb so I took this pic, but now I'm not so sure:)


Last weekend APM and I went to a cocktail party with a lot of his high school friends. It was definitely a rousing good time. A classic 20 something party, with a few apps, a keg and a guitar guy to cap off the night.
But what I'm most excited about is that we took pictures with my Holga Camera! This little camera is my new favorite hobby. For all of you that think I'm talking nonsense, a Holga is an 1980's plastic toy camera manufactured in China. And for all of you that have seen me whip this bad boy out at parties, I promise I wasn't crazy.
It uses 120mm film, the film we used before 35mm, which is a little more difficult to find let alone develop. (yes I said develop, when I tell people I have to go develop film they think I'm crazy.) The camera lets in a crazy amount of light. Hence the blackish border. But it takes some of the most amazing, interesting pictures. I have to purchase the film in one place and get it developed and printed in another, but these will be some of my most cherished pictures to come.

1 comment:

  1. This post really interested me when I first read it. I had no idea what a Holga was and I am still pining after my KodaK Brownie camera that I destroyed on the Champs Elysees in Paris when I fell on it and slid across the street with it still hanging from my neck (I still believe it saved my life - or at least saved me from some really nasty scratches) when I was 16 years old. But just a few weeks ago, I heard a presentation by the photography teacher at the high school & he was raving about the Holga. Apparently they use it in class & develop their own pics. Featherstone Center for the Arts in OB also offers a Holga class -isn't that a hoot! I really want one now.

    ReplyDelete